Caleb was born about 2 weeks early of his August 10th due date. My doctor was planning on leaving town for about 1 week just before his due date, so I was hopeful that I would have him before she left. I was already dialated to a 4, so I talked her into stripping my membranes to see if that would put me into labor. She told me to go home and go on a walk, and to go right in to the hospital if I had any contractions, since I was positive for GSB. Well, I was having contractions on the way out of her office, but I didn't want them to stop so I went home and took a brisk walk, stopping often because of the contractions I was having. I called Casey on my walk and told him that I was going to head into the hospital as soon as I could make it back to the house. I drove myself to the hospital, while Casey got the other 3 kids ready to go to a sitter. It took forever for me to be admitted to the hospital (even though I had pre-registered.) About 30 minutes after I arrived at the hospital I was finally taken to a labor and delivery room. The nurse then didn't check me immediately. I had to tell her that I was having contractions that were really close. She looked and could see that they were every 1 to 1.5 minutes apart. So she finally decided to see how far dialated I was. At this point, I was dialated to a 7 and this is about when Casey made it to the hospital. I was ready to cry because at this point I realized I wasn't going to have time for an epidural, and I was in a LOT of pain. About 20 minutes later, Caleb was here, without me getting any penicillan (which I was suppose to have because of the GSB). I ended up making it to the hospital about 45 minutes before he was born. Caleb has been doing great at nights and is sleeping pretty good. He has tons of hair and we think he is beautiful! All of his siblings adore him and Ethan tells us about 20 times a day that Caleb is 'so cute and sweet'.
Here is Caleb just after he was born.
This is me the day Caleb was born, (before I was in labor).

Yikes! Don't you hate it when the nurses are so slow??? Glad to hear that all is going well though!
ReplyDelete